Friday, October 10, 2008

FNM - Oct 10, 2008

This is my first time to get my feet wet in post-Shards of Alara standard. Unfortunately, I still haven't decided on a particular deck to build, so for today's FNM, I decided to just build a deck based on cards that we currently have. At the same, I also wanted to use something new, and since this is an FNM in a brand-new location (what will, hopefully, be our home base) I also wanted to use something fun.

This is what I came up with:


// Lands
4 [10E] Treetop Village
18 [UNH] Forest

// Creatures
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves
4 [EVE] Nettle Sentinel
4 [EVE] Twinblade Slasher
4 [LRW] Wren's Run Vanquisher
4 [EVE] Talara's Battalion
4 [10E] Troll Ascetic
2 [SHM] Boggart Ram-Gang
2 [SHM] Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers

// Spells
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
3 [10E] Giant Growth
2 [SHM] Tower Above
1 [10E] Loxodon Warhammer

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [SHM] Raking Canopy
SB: 4 [EVE] Snakeform
SB: 2 [SHM] Guttural Response
SB: 2 [10E] Naturalize
SB: 3 [SHM] Faerie Macabre


Round 1: vs. Quick 'N Toast (lost)

My opponent's first two land drops were vivid lands. I think to myself: Great. I bring a fun deck in this FNM, and someone is playing QNT. And I have to play him. :( Anyway, I decide to give it a go, and in the first game, I actually give him a run for his money -- despite being able to cast a Broodmate Dragon, I was actually able to kill both! Giant Growth on one, and Tower Above on the other. But heck, my opponent goes ballistic on me, as he taps colors on 7 mana for Cruel Ultimatum, netting him back his Broodmate buddies and the win.

SB: -3 Giant Growth, +3 Snakeform

In game 2, I drop him down to 9 life, but he slowly creeps back with Kitchen Finks shenanigans. He eventually drops his Broodmate buddies again -- and I kill both again! This time with Snakeform and Tower Above. However, he later drops his "other dragon", in the form of Oona, Queen of the Fae, and I scoop, without anything to do against the large faerie.

Game standing: 0-2
Match standing: 0-1


Round 2: vs. BG Rock (won)

Basically, my opponent beats me with his Colossus in game 2, but I won games 1 & 3 with the Troll-Hammer combo.

Game standing: 2-3
Match standing: 1-1


Round 3: vs. Quick 'N Toast (lost)

Wow, two players are playing QNT. I ask my opponent why he's 1-1, he tells me someone else is playing Faeries. Wow. Then, my luck completely abandons me, as I mulligan to 4... with no lands! I decide to give it a go, but of course lost the game. In game 2, I gain control of the board, but my opponent always has that resiliency with Kitchen Finks and Rhox War Monk lifegains shenanigans. I eventually lose to a flashed out Cloudthresher, sweeping my attackers and netting him a gargantuan beatstick that I cannot handle.

Game standing: 2-5
Match standing: 1-2


Round 4: vs. Mono Red Goblins (won)

My opponent and I joke around that we're just there to wait for the random FNM card giveaway, and in the process, I beat him easily in two games. I get surprised with Fists of the Anvil at one point, but my opponent gets even more surprised, when I did a double Giant Growth. Ha, take that. :)

Game standing: 4-5
Match standing: 2-2

All players that had no chance of getting to top 3, were asked to roll a 20-sided die. The one with the highest roll would win the fourth FNM card. I actually got the highest roll (13), tied with someone else, but when they did the rankings, the TO mentioned that I actually rank 6th overall, and was actually winning a pack! Wow. I take the pack, and the Serrated Arrows foil went to the other guy. Inside the pack was a mythic rare:



Coolness. I gotta think of a deck for The Anima. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool report. Right when I read your decklist, I was thinking you might have problems with Wrath and Firespout. Then, you get paired up with 2 Quick 'N Toast decks!

Nice booster, though. The Anima is awesome.