Saturday, August 8, 2009

FNM - Aug 7, 2009

With the Blightning deck doing pretty badly the past couple of weeks, I decided to take a break from it, and netdecked Christopher Murray's Bw control deck for last night's FNM.



// Lands
3 [EVE] Fetid Heath
1 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
15 [10E] Swamp
4 [M10] Plains

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
4 [EVE] Stillmoon Cavalier
2 [CFX] Nyxathid
4 [SHM] Demigod of Revenge
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
2 [M10] Duress
2 [EVE] Raven's Crime
2 [M10] Mind Shatter
3 [LRW] Profane Command
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
2 [M10] Liliana Vess

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 2 [M10] Duress
SB: 2 [LRW] Austere Command
SB: 2 [EVE] Hallowed Burial
SB: 4 [ALA] Infest
SB: 1 [ARB] Zealous Persecution


Round 1: vs. BR Aggro (won)

The night began when our TO said that there were going to be only 3 rounds tonight, because we started really late (7pm), and that there were very few players (<20). And when pairings were setup for round 1, I got a BYE!

I was already watching another player (the eventual first place winner last night) on his first match, when another player arrived to the store and wanted to play in the FNM. Now I have an opponent.

He turned out to have a very similar deck to the one I was using the past few weeks, but with minor differences (ie. he was using Sign in Blood). In the end, I easily won in 2 games -- on the first, I beat him with 2 Demigods; on the second, I just massacred his hand and beat him with Tidehollow Scullers.

Wow, that's a good sign -- beating my old deck -- and it was the first time in a LOOONG time that I had won on the first round.

Game standing: 2-0
Match standing: 1-0


At this point, my pen lost its ink, so I was using dice to keep track of life totals for the remainder of the night. Thus, I have very little memory of the details of the games. And apparently, it was a premonition of the losses that will follow... :(


Round 2: vs. Br Discarder (lost)

I was up against my second round opponent in last week's FNM, so I knew his deck from the get-go. I remember our first game being very funny. :) He would cast Shriekmaw, I would cast the same. We would trade in combat. Then he would cast another one. I would Profane it and bring back my 'Maw. Then he would Profane mine and bring back his 'Maw. Good times. In the end, he would beat me in 3 games, behind a double Thought Hemorrhage -- the first one for Path to Exile, then after seeing 2 Demigods in my hand, he would cast another one, for the Demigod.

Game standing: 3-2
Match standing: 1-1


Round 3: vs. Naya (lost)

This was my third consecutive week to play against this guy -- the one with the Naya deck that had Cerodon Yearlings. We were 1-1 so far (him winning the first time, then I won last week), and he was starting to say that this was our decision round. He was then surprised when he saw a Fetid Heath in my second land drop. Whoa, new deck? Our "decision game" turned out to be the start of a new battle.

Anyway, it turned out to be a bad round. On the first game, my opponent was even making mistakes in the game, but I still lost. Once, he attacked me with a 3/3 Nacatl with a Stillmoon Cavalier waiting to pump and first strike. And he even cast a Volcanic Fallout with him having more creatures on board. Eventually, I lost via Ajani Vengeant -- I had no answer for it, once it came online -- and a one-sided Armageddon plain and simply just wins games. :(

Afterwards, our second game was reminiscent of our very first game two weeks ago -- I had to mulligan to 4. Nuff said. I lost that game.

Game standing: 3-4
Match standing: 1-2


Apparently, the only time that I get lucky is on the dice roll for the random foil cards. Last night, I rolled a 7 -- but it was still enough to get second pick on the foil cards (other players rolled a 6, 5, and 4; the winner rolled a 20). I had the chance to get another foil Slave of Bolas, but decided to pass on it, and pick something else this time -- a foil DCI Mind Control.

No comments: