Saturday, April 5, 2008

FNM - Apr 4, 2008

Due to the disappointing results from the City Champs, I abandoned the Land Destruction idea in yesterday's FNM, and went with a more traditional Doran Rock deck.



// Lands
4 [MOR] Murmuring Bosk
4 [10E] Llanowar Wastes
3 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 [TSB] Gemstone Mine
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
3 [UNH] Forest
1 [UNH] Swamp

// Creatures
4 [10E] Birds of Paradise
3 [10E] Llanowar Elves
3 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [10E] Troll Ascetic
4 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
1 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
2 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
3 [MOR] Bitterblossom
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
2 [PLC] Damnation
3 [LRW] Profane Command
1 [LRW] Primal Command

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 2 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip


Round 1: vs. Red Deck Wins

Things started well, with me being able to draw both my singleton Primal Command and Chameleon Colossus in my starting hand -- and I then quickly proceeded to win game 1 behind the double-charged changeling. For game 2, I boarded in 4 Extirpates and took out the 2 Damnations and 2 Nameless Inversions. I soon realized that I made a mistake, when I drew both Shriekmaws and being unable to cast them. My opponent beat me without taking any damage. Out: 2 Shriekmaws; In: 2 Nameless Inversions. For game 3, my opponent was again getting his burn engine going. I was able to survive though, even Extirpating his Incinerates, but he just had too much going on, Threatening my Garruk Beasts and sacrificing them to Gargadon. With me at 11 life, he won via double Shard Volley on my Colossus, Shocking me (9 life) and sacrificing all his hands to get Gargadon online ftw.

Game standing: 1-2
Match standing: 0-1


Round 2: vs. Mono-green Elves

I started nicely, by getting an early Bitterblossom online. However, all my other creatures apparently stayed on the bottom of my deck. I eventually lost game 1 via some 1-2 damage elf attacks and my own freaking enchantment. In: 2 Damnations; Out: 1 Primal Command, 1 Shriekmaw. For game 2, we went on a battle of attrition, with me having a few large creatures, and him with a bunch of small guys. Tough luck again for me, with 4 Damnations in the deck, I just couldn't draw one. In the end, I lost when I made a mistake when casting Oblivion Ring. With a choice of getting rid of Imperious Perfect and Door of Destinies, I chose the former. He then proceeded to cast Gilt Leaf Ambush twice, tapping some elves for mana via Heritage Druid, and finally Overrun ftw. He had enough damage through to kill me at 19 life. Oh well.

Game standing: 1-4
Match standing: 0-2


After the game, I decided to drop from the tournament and just look at some binders. I think I really need that final Bitterblossom and probably 2 more Colossi, to get this deck out of its slump. Too bad, I didn't see any.

Finally as consolation, before going home, I just bought us some Pre-release Tickets for Shadowmoor -- and this one I'm really excited for.

No comments: