Sunday, April 6, 2008

Triple Treat (Standard) - Apr 6, 2008

I originally planned to join the Block format in the Triple Treat, but laziness got the best of me, and I just joined the Standard format with my current deck. I gave Doran Rock another try, with LD maindecked.



// Lands
4 [MOR] Murmuring Bosk
3 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 [10E] Llanowar Wastes
4 [TSB] Gemstone Mine
2 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 [UNH] Forest
1 [UNH] Swamp

// Creatures
4 [10E] Birds of Paradise
3 [10E] Llanowar Elves
3 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
3 [10E] Troll Ascetic
3 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
1 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus

// Spells
4 [10E] Rain of Tears
4 [TSP] Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
3 [MOR] Bitterblossom
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
2 [LRW] Profane Command

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 1 [LRW] Profane Command
SB: 1 [TSP] Sudden Spoiling
SB: 2 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 1 [LRW] Primal Command


Round 1: vs. UB Faeries (won)

Faeries seem to be a good matchup for me, as the only decks I've beaten in the past few tourneys were of this archetype. I won this match easily in 2 games.

Game standing: 2-0
Match standing: 1-0


Round 2: vs. UB Faeries (lost)

After the previous round, I wished to face more faeries during the day. My wish was granted, as I faced the same deck on the second round. However, the tides were turned, and I lost the match in 2 games. The difference was that this version of UB Faeries was counter heavy, with a couple of Rune Snags and Cryptic Commands. Like they say, be careful what you wish for.

Game standing: 2-2
Match standing: 1-1


Round 3: vs. Reveillark (lost)

I was actually excited to face a Reveillark deck in the third round, with my maindeck LD tech supposedly "anti-Reveillark". It seemed to pay off in the first game, with my opponent losing very quickly, after 2 Rain of Tears and 1 Mwonvuli Acid Moss. In fact, he was talking about deck-checking me, because he was really uncomfortable that I had LD maindeck. He changed his mind though, probably thinking that after having lost game 1, and deck-checking being a time-consuming procedure, he will probably end up losing the match 0-1 when time runs out. My opponent's mood changed though when he wound up winning games 2 & 3. My LD spells just didn't come out in time, and he was able to cast Crovax, Ascendant Hero to nullify my Bitterblossoms.

Game standing: 3-4
Match standing: 1-2


Round 4: vs. Red Deck Wins (lost)

I lost this match, due to a misplay. Lesson learned: NEVER CAST BITTERBLOSSOM AGAINST A BURN DECK. In addition to the misplay though, my opponent also got some luck on his side, having topdecked the Shard Volley (game 1 - he was down to 1) and Threaten (game 2 - he was down to 3) to pull out the last opportunity wins.

Game standing: 3-6
Match standing: 1-3


Round 5: vs. Doran Rock mirror (lost)

My opponent had the traditional Doran Rock build, without Bitterblossoms and with 4 Garruks. With LD maindeck, I had no chance in winning game 1. After sideboarding though, I thought I had a chance against him, thinking that I had a better Doran build. I began to think I was right, as I won game 2 behind my Bitterblossoms. In game 3 though, he churned out Beast after Beast after Beast from his Garruk after Garruk after Garruk. I didn't have a chance, and lost the match.

Game standing: 4-8
Match standing: 1-4


Round 6: vs. UW Merfolk (won)

When I saw my opponent lay down an Island and then a Plains, I was starting to think that I was up against another Reveillark deck. Good thing I was wrong, when he suddenly cast a Mothdust Changeling, and then a Silvergill Adept -- apparently he had a fish deck. :) I felt confindent playing against a Tier 2 deck, but was surprised when he cast Aquitect's Will and a Lord of Atlantis. Suddenly, I couldn't block any of his creatures! I also couldn't draw any Nameless Inversion, so I was suddenly behind 0-1 after game 1. While sideboarding, I tried to keep my cool, and converted my deck to a traditional build. After boarding, my opponent didn't have a chance, and I easily won games 2 & 3.

Game standing: 6-9
Match standing: 2-4


Round 7: vs. UG Control (lost)

I didn't have a chance in this one, with my opponent either Rune Snagging or Mystic Snaking or Cryptic Commanding and even Vensering those that got through. I lost after 2 quick games. Learning point: Never cast 3 Bitterblossoms. Learning point #2: You can't kill a 2/3 Tarmogoyf with Nameless Inversion when there are no Tribal or Instant cards yet on any graveyard.

Game standing: 6-11
Match standing: 2-5

I've finally come to a conclusion that Land Destruction is not viable in today's Standard metagame. It's just too dependent on luck, and if you don't draw the LD spells early, they're all just dead cards. Plus, I always end up boarding them out anyway, so it's really better to just put more effective cards in their place. LD is just too slow against aggro, and is not good enough against control.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you do your tourney reports: direct-to-the-point, short but very informative and fun to read. There is a lesson to be learned in every match. I really don't like reading kilometric torney reports that actaully don't say a lot.

Sana magkaroon tayo ng directory ng mga Filipino blogs about Magic because it can help the community a lot. I found a great blog at wordpress (I forgot its name), and I'm sure there are a lot more.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

polarnest

benj said...

Thanks a lot for your comments bro! I really appreciate it. :) Let me know pag nahanap mo yung wordpress blog, at game din ako dyan sa community ng Filipino MTG bloggers. :)