Monday, June 2, 2008

Grand Prix Manila Trial II - Jun 1, 2008

I modified last week's BG elves deck a bit (-1 liege, +1 garruk, -4 shield of oversoul, +4 bitterblossom), and used the following deck in yesterday's GPT:



// Lands
4 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 [MOR] Murmuring Bosk
1 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
2 [MOR] Mutavault
1 [LRW] Vivid Grove
1 [LRW] Vivid Marsh
7 [UNH] Forest
3 [UNH] Swamp

// Creatures
4 [SHM] Devoted Druid
4 [LRW] Wren's Run Vanquisher
4 [LRW] Imperious Perfect
4 [SHM] Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
4 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
2 [SHM] Wilt-Leaf Liege
4 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker

// Spells
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
3 [LRW] Profane Command
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 4 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 4 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
SB: 2 [LRW] Primal Command
SB: 1 [LRW] Final Revels


Round 1: vs. UGbrw control (lost)

I won game 1 easily behind an early Bitterblossom. For game 2, I had my opponent at 3 life, and then he cast 3 consecutive Cryptic Commands -- all while gaining life with Kitchen Finks, which recurred again and again, via Turn to Mist. He went back all the way to 22 life, and I lost to a Shriekmaw. In game 3, I had no answer to his Chameleon Colossus and lost in a one-sided game.

Game standing: 1-2
Match standing: 0-1


Round 2: vs. UW control (lost)

In game 1, I forgot to use Garruk's ability in a critical point, which could have won me the game. He then swept my army with Austere Command and proceeded to beat me with a Heartmender and a Kitchen Finks. In game 2, it was pretty much the same, with my army getting erased by a single Austere Command, and then him retaliating with Kitchen Finks. Too bad I couldn't draw any of my Profanes with him at just 1 life.

Game standing: 1-3
Match standing: 0-2


Round 3: vs. BG treefolk-elves (won)

This was my first game (and hopefully not the last) against a prominent Magic player (clue: he used to be a basketball commentator). Anyway, I was getting beat in game 1 by his Doran and some elves, and he had me at 8 life and him still at 19. But then, I was able to cast a Liege and Garruk overrun at the same turn ftw. In game 2, I pretty much had board control for the whole game, and won easily.

Game standing: 3-3
Match standing: 1-2


Round 4: vs. WGb Doran (lost)

Game 1 was close, with big creatures on both sides of the board. His creatures proved to be larger though (Doran + Liege = huge treefolk) and won the first game. Game 2 was one-sided and I lost to his aggressive WG elves.

Game standing: 3-5
Match standing: 1-3


Round 5: vs. BG elves (won)

I was up against another woman Magic player. Wow. There's really a lot of them nowadays. Anyway, I literally got ambushed on the first game, losing to a surprise Gilt-Leaf Ambush, and with her winning the ensuing Clash, I lost my 2 attacking creatures (I think it was a Liege and a Cavalier). In game 2, I won via a Garruk overrun. In game 3, I had board control the whole game and won.

Game standing: 5-6
Match standing: 2-3


Round 6: vs. RG warriors (won)

My opponent went off to a blazing start with Maniacs, Paragons and Vanquishers, and had me all the way down to 4 life. And then I was able to set up my large blockers and his little creatures died one by one, until I was able to get back to win the game. In the second game, it was more of the same, and he was even to conspire a Giantbaiting, with a Paragon in play -- giving me 10 damage in one swing. I was still able to get back though via a Primal Command, and I took out his creautures one by one via Profane Command and then finally Garruk ftw.

Game standing: 7-6
Match standing: 3-3


Round 7: vs. UB faeries (lost)

The thing about faeries is that they are RESILIENT. In game 1, I had my opponent at 4 life, and then I still lost. In game 2, he was at 5 life, and I still lost. My opponent is thanking this new Shadowmoor card for my loss -- Consign to Dream.

Game standing: 7-8
Match standing: 3-4


Round 8: vs. BG elves (lost)

In game 1, my opponent had some crazy plays via Obsidian Battle-Axe. For example -- with Paragon in play, cast Perfect, attach Axe, make a token, attach Axe, then swing with 4/3 token. I still lost though despite keeping it a close game. In game 2, there was a trampling Colossus (thanks to a Paragon counter) in my opponent's side, which I kept on thinking on how to take care of. I decided to pass the turn and eventually lost to the ensuing attack. After the game, my opponent told me that I could have Profaned the Paragon to remove the Trample ability (he knew I had one due to an early Thoughtseize). Damn! Why didn't I think of that?

Game standing: 7-10
Match standing: 3-5

No comments: