Monday, June 30, 2008

Regular Standard Tournament - Jun 28, 2008

No excuses. I pretty much just sucked last Saturday and went 0-2-1, before dropping from the tournament. Here was my decklist:



// Lands
4 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 [10E] Llanowar Wastes
4 [MOR] Mutavault
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
4 [10E] Treetop Village
3 [10E] Forest
2 [10E] Swamp

// Creatures
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves
1 [CS] Boreal Druid
4 [LRW] Wren's Run Vanquisher
3 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [10E] Civic Wayfinder
4 [LRW] Imperious Perfect
3 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus

// Spells
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
4 [10E] Terror
3 [LRW] Profane Command
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 1 [TSP] Squall Line
SB: 2 [SHM] Incremental Blight
SB: 2 [FUT] Slaughter Pact
SB: 2 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
SB: 3 [LRW] Primal Command
SB: 1 [SHM] Kitchen Finks


Round 1: vs. Mono B Demigod (lost)

My first opponent was a newbie. He was even asking me about the tournament format, how many rounds, how many games we had to play, etc. I graciously answered all his questions... but deep inside, I was actually really happy that I would get a free win in round 1..... or so I thought.

I kept a hand that had 2 Treetops, a Llanowar Elf, and a couple of Perfects and Civic Wayfinders. Not too bad. But guess what, my elf druid died to a Cruel Edict on turn 2. And lucky me, by the time I drew a third land, my opponent was already swinging with 2 Demigods of Revenge.

For the second game, I boarded out all my Terrors, in favor of Primal Commands and Cloudthreshers (let's see those Demigods get past this). Things actually started off nicely, with me being able to cast an early Colossus. My opponent had a Demigod. I thought to myself, 8 damage against 5... I'll win the race. But guess what, a Corrupt for 6 at my face changes all of that. And after that, he even cast a second Demigod. WTF.

Game standing: 0-2
Match standing: 0-1


Round 2: vs. Zvi Mowshowitz's RG Burn-Fatty deck (draw)

The first game takes forever, but I eventually win the game at 21 life (he had Grove of Burnwillows). The second game also takes a real long time, with a creature stall -- my opponent at 7 life, with 2 Deus of Calamity, 1 Shivan Dragon (yes, old school baby!), and a Colossus; and me at 24 life, and a ton of critters -- we finally hit the last 5 turns mark. Every turn, I do the math, and I could only get him down at 1 life even with an alpha strike. On the 5th and final turn, my opponent draws his card takes a peek... and laughs his ass off. It was a Firespout. GG.

Game standing: 1-3
Match standing: 0-1-1


Round 3: vs. BG Mana Ramp (lost)

This was the laugher round that made me pack my bags to go home. I made misplay after misplay after misplay. At one point I even cast a Profane, and then say "-4/-4 this, then search my library". My opponent gets baffled. WTF? I mixed it up with Primal. OMG. I lost the first game with my opponent at 24 life. I lost the second game with him at 20 life. Nuff said.

Game standing: 1-5
Match standing: 0-2-1


Lesson learned: Get enough sleep before the tournament. Period.

No comments: