Sunday, August 10, 2008

Philippine Open, Standard Division - Aug 10, 2008

If you're not interested in learning how to lose in tournaments, stop reading now.

Still there? Ok fine.

Expecting a RDW and faerie infested meta, I modified my BG Elves deck by removing Garruk and putting main deck Slaughter Pacts:



// Lands
4 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
3 [10E] Llanowar Wastes
2 [EVE] Twilight Mire
4 [MOR] Mutavault
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 [TSB] Pendelhaven
4 [10E] Treetop Village
2 [10E] Forest
2 [10E] Swamp

// Creatures
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves
1 [CS] Boreal Druid
4 [LRW] Wren's Run Vanquisher
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [LRW] Imperious Perfect
4 [10E] Civic Wayfinder
3 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [LRW] Profane Command
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
2 [FUT] Slaughter Pact

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
SB: 2 [LRW] Primal Command
SB: 4 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 1 [TSP] Squall Line
SB: 3 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
SB: 2 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 1 [TSP] Sudden Spoiling

I think I was on the right track. In fact, I read the metagame today very well, as you will see. But unfortunately, luck was just not on my side today. Lady luck was waaaaay over on the other side of the world.


Round 1: vs. Red Deck Wins

Game 1, mulligan to 5. I kept a hand with 1 Gilt Leaf Palace and 1 Vanquisher. I was still able to hit my second land drop though, but my opponent just easily burned everything I put down, and beat me with his 8/8 Kithkin Spirit Warrior Avatar while still at perfect life. In Game 2, I come out of the gates roaring, and attacked my opponent until he stabilized at 3 life. But remember my comment about lady luck? After several turns waiting for any one of my three Profane Commands, they just never came out, and I still ended up losing that game to a Demigod of Revenge.

Game standing: 0-2
Match standing: 0-1


Round 2: vs. Red Deck Wins

Game 1, mulligan to... wait for it... 5 again. We start off racing, but eventually, I had no chance against 2 Demigods. In game 2, it wasn't even close. My opponent just burned everything I put down, and I got stuck at 4 lands, with 2 Primal Commands in my hand.

Game standing: 0-4
Match standing: 0-2


Round 3: vs. UB Faeries

I actually had a chance in this one, with my opponent even making a few mistakes (casting Mistbind Clique during my main phase & blocking my Vanquisher with another Mistbind Clique), but I eventually lost to my opponent's superior card draw (you probably already noticed the abundance of Mistbind Cliques...). In game 2, I did something I've never done in a tournament. I lost by forgetting to pay for Slaughter Pact. W-T-F.

Game standing: 0-6
Match standing: 0-3 drop. With a big L in my forehead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wtf!!!

kaya yung iba, naglalagay talaga ng palatandaan sa top ng library para maalala bago mag-draw. yung iba, counters, coins, pwede din deckbox.