Sunday, July 27, 2008

Regular Standard Tournament - Jul 26, 2008

There were three scheduled tournaments yesterday -- Standard, LOR-SHM Block, and Legacy. I originally planned on joining the Block tourney (I even met up with someone to buy cards for my deck), for fear of facing the many practicing Nationals players (this year's Nats format is Standard). Unfortunately, when I signed up at NG Galleria, there were only 2 players signed-in for Block! Oh well.

Good thing I anticipated the possibility of this happening, so I brought with me the parts of my BG Elves deck. I built the deck on the venue (basically the same deck that I used last time), just in time for the start of the tourney. Here's what happened:

0-3 drop.

Well, technically, it was 1-3 drop, because I got a bye on the fourth round.


On the first round, I lost to a mono-black control deck. 2 Bitterblossoms + Korlash + Corrupt = game loss.


On the second round, I lost on a mirror match. It was actually close on both games (I lost 0-2), up until I made another huge, stupid, crucial, "makes you want to punch yourself" misplay by blocking 2 attacking Mutavaults, with my own 2 Mutavaults. The only thing was, my opponent had an Imperious Perfect in play. Duh.


On the third round, I lost to a UB faeries deck, 1-2. He demolished me in the first game with 3 consecutive Mistbind Cliques. I outplayed him in the second game (the only good game I had all day). And I had really bad luck in the third game (when I counted the cards after the match, I apparently drew 15 out of my 23 lands in the game... and the game didn't last long).

Another tournament, another "oh well".

No comments: