Saturday, January 24, 2009

FNM - Jan 23, 2009

I finally gave in and replaced the Troll Ascetics in the Elves deck with Kitchen Finks. I finally realized that I always needed the 2 mana I was leaving open for regenerating the Troll, which made me always a step behind in mana. Finks has a decent body for its cost at 3/2, and basically nets me 2 blockers and 4 life for those aggresive aggro decks (read: Kithkin).



// Lands
4 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 [10E] Llanowar Wastes
2 [EVE] Twilight Mire
4 [MOR] Mutavault
4 [10E] Treetop Village
3 [UNH] Forest
3 [UNH] Swamp

// Creatures
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves
4 [LRW] Wren's Run Vanquisher
4 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
2 [10E] Civic Wayfinder
4 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
1 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
1 [10E] Loxodon Warhammer
3 [MOR] Bitterblossom
3 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
2 [LRW] Eyeblight's Ending
3 [LRW] Profane Command
2 [LRW] Primal Command

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [LRW] Cloudthresher
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 4 [ALA] Infest
SB: 1 [MOR] Mind Shatter
SB: 2 [10E] Mind Rot


Round 1: vs. Realm Razer Naya (won)

I won easily in game 1 via a Garruk overrun which put my opponent at 6 life, after which I finished him off with my man lands. Game 2 was also one-sided, as my opponent made a couple of misplays.

Game standing: 2-0
Match standing: 1-0


Round 2: vs. RW Reveillark (draw)

I mull'd to 5 on the first game, much to my dismay, and was on the defensive all game, until I finally lost. In game 2, I got some help from my opponent as he took plenty of damage from ouchlands, in addition to my quick beats. In game 3, we were called for time, and I luckily managed to get the draw despite being on the way to losing that game.

Game standing: 3-1-1
Match standing: 1-0-1


Round 3: vs. RW Reveillark (lost)

I mull'd to 5 again. And the 5-hander I kept was all lands -- I decided to keep it because it had a good mix of manlands and dual lands. Of course, I lost that first game. In game 2, I just lost based on pure card and board advantage generated by my opponent's Siege Gang Commanders, Ranger of Eos, and Reveillark.

Game standing: 3-3-1
Match standing: 1-1-1


Round 4: vs. Elf Ball (lost)

As was expected, game 1 turned out to have a really heavy board, with lots of small creatures on his side, and a few large creatures in mine. Unfortunately, his small creatures eventually went up in size, thanks to a few Imperious Perfects, and he eventually steam rolled me for the win. In game 2, my opponent made a god draw -- emptying all 8 of his cards in hand by the second turn, thanks to Heritage Druid and a pair of Nettle Sentinels.

Game standing: 3-5-1
Match standing: 1-2-1


As was always the case, the losers of the tournament rolled dice to determine who would win the random FNM card (3 were given away to the top 3 finishers, and the fourth one was given in random). I lost out on the die roll by just 1 -- the winner rolled a 17; I rolled a 16. :( Oh well.

No comments: