Tuesday, January 13, 2009

FNM - Jan 9, 2009

We wanted to create a new deck for the new year, and based on available cards, we sleeved up a Vengeant Weenie deck, which is basically the WW Kithkin deck creature core, with a splash of red for burn (Javelins & Incinerates) and Ajani Vengeant.



// Lands
4 [10E] Battlefield Forge
4 [EVE] Rugged Prairie
1 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [LRW] Windbrisk Heights
4 [MOR] Rustic Clachan
5 [UNH] Plains
3 [UNH] Mountain

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
4 [LRW] Knight of Meadowgrain
4 [LRW] Wizened Cenn
3 [ALA] Ranger of Eos
4 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant

// Spells
4 [SHM] Flame Javelin
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [SHM] Spectral Procession

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 4 [EVE] Stillmoon Cavalier
SB: 4 [LRW] Wispmare
SB: 3 [MOR] Reveillark


Round 1: vs. Jund Mana Ramp (lost)

I kept some sketchy hands, and paid for it. My opponent smashed me with various threats like Garruk (now I know how it feels to be on the other side of those Beast tokens), Broodmate Dragon, Cloudthresher, and Caldera Hellion.

Game standing: 0-2
Match standing: 0-1


Round 2: WW Kithkins (lost)

The difference between me and my opponent, aside from the Red splash in my deck, is that he knew how to pilot Kithkins. I didn't. LOL. My opponent beat me with various tricks like a flashed in Thistledown Liege, and instant reinforce (via Rustic Clachan) in the first game. In the second game, I made the HUGE misplay of blocking his Knight of Meadowgrain with my Stillmoon Cavalier... without giving it first strike! I just realized it after 2-3 attacks, and by then, my life total was already way down, thanks to his other creatures.

Game standing: 0-4
Match standing: 0-2 drop.


Lesson learned: Never use a deck that you have never played, in a tournament.

No comments: